This one is just for the ladies. Don’t worry gentlemen, you can still share this important information with the ladies in your life!
There’s a plethora of great articles out there about why women should lift weights as well as myths about lifting weights, so I’m not going to reinvent the wheel on this topic. But I will give you a quick recap:
- Strength training keeps your bones strong and helps reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis
- Building muscle helps make your body more metabolically active. (psst: this means you burn more calories, even while at rest!)
- Strength training and building muscle helps protect against disease such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space. This means that as you build muscle and burn fat, you’ll look leaner.
- Regular exercise that includes lifting weights can help regulate your hormones.
- Lifting weights will not make you bulky. Most women do not have the hormonal atmosphere to get bulky and if you see a woman who looks bulky then more than likely, shes either got some excess body fat.
And the newest reason that I just learned about from my doctor…
- Regular exercise that includes lifting weights can help reduce your risk of breast cancer by 25-50%!!
Here are just a few of the great articles out there on the subject of why women should lift:
Now get off that treadmill and go pick up some weights!